My Grateful Challenge: 49 Things I’m Thankful For
‘Tis the season to shop, wrap, bake, decorate and watch Christmas Vacation on repeat. Yes, life from late November through December is just plain fun.
But, with all the overeating (guilty) and overspending (guilty again), it’s easy to get wrapped up in the minutiae and forget what the holiday season is really about.
That’s why I was thrilled to see the Grateful Challenge on Spin Sucks. As part of the challenge, you list out everything you can possibly think of that you’re grateful for in 10 minutes.
Not only does this save me time brainstorming blog posts for the week (can I add that to the grateful list?), it helps me – and hopefully you, if you accept the challenge – take a step back and realize just how incredible this life really is.
So, what’s on my grateful list? Count ’em down in 5…4…3…2…And… Go:
- My family, all day, every day.
- Frank, my motivating, understanding boyfriend who shares my passion for the good things in life like cheese, beer and travel. (Not necessarily in that order. But maybe.)
- My friends, both near and far.
- My incredibly adorable dog Harry. I mean, he’s the greatest. Just look at this photo.
- My education.
- My ability to read.
- My love of reading.
- My ability to write, and decently at that.
- My love of writing.
- A great bunch of co-workers.
- Wonderful mentors both within and outside of work.
- My Canon camera.
- Air travel.
- Study abroad opportunities.
- A body that lets me run like a mad woman and put in crazy miles.
- The drive to run.
- Marathons, and the strong spirit those who run marathons possess.
- Quality running shoes (thank you, Asics!).
- Under Armour cold gear for those freezing runs.
- Public parks, especially those with pretty fountains and flowers.
- Dog parks.
- A safe apartment with a lovely view.
- Coffee in the morning on my couch with a book.
- A second cup of coffee, at my computer reading the news.
- Decaf coffee, after I’ve had my first two cups.
- Freedom, and those who defend it every day.
- Google Analytics.
- My Kindle. (!!)
- Smart people willing to share their insights with the world.
- Mumford & Sons.
- Eddie Vedder.
- Ben Harper.
- The Office, all six times I’ve watched it start to finish.
- Photo books to store memories.
- Memories to fill those photo books.
- Trader Joe’s.
- Warmup Indian meals and veggie burgers to make cooking easier.
- Fresh produce that’s constantly available.
- Parents who raised me to eat healthy and exercise.
- Parents who raised me to be myself – completely.
- Sports, and the ability to play even as an adult.
- Tom Brady. (Sigh)
- Vince Wilfork. (Aww)
- A car to get me from point A to point B.
- A hot shower.
- Breakfast and coffee on Saturday mornings. (Did I mention coffee already?)
- The four seasons.
And… stop. Well, that’s a lot tougher than it looks. Gini, I’m impressed with your 67 – now I have a benchmark to beat next year!
But, hey, I’m happy with 49. And I’m even happier that I have more than 10-minutes worth of things to be thankful for. Now, it’s your turn – go list what you’re thankful for and share it in the comments below.